At a Glance
John Grisham (website) is a popular author of legal thrillers such as The Pelican Brief, The Firm, A Time To Kill and The Client, many of which have been brought to the big screen.
John Grisham was born in 1955 in Jonesboro, Arkansas. After graduating from Mississippi State University, he attended the University of Mississippi School of Law, after which he worked as a criminal lawyer. Between 1984-1990, he served in the House of Representatives in Mississippi.
Having been a criminal lawyer for about a decade, the author has plenty of knowledge to infuse his books with, and this shows greatly.
No wonder so many of his books have been adapted to movies, as they are not only chilling and suspenseful but also very realistic.
Along with Tom Clancy and J.K. Rowlings, John Grisham is one of the few authors who has sold 2 million copies of first printing books.
His first novel, A Time To Kill, published in 1989, 4 years after he started writing it, has an interesting genesis. Having been a lawyer for so many years, one day he heard a young girl telling her story to the court, and he got so interested that went to listen to the whole case. And so his first idea for a book came to life.
As he mentioned on his website:
I seriously doubt I would ever have written the first story had I not been a lawyer. I never dreamed of being a writer. I wrote only after witnessing a trial.
As soon as he finished writing A Time To Kill, he was already working on his second novel, The Firm – which ended up to be pretty much the book that propelled him into instant fame. Even if you’ve never read The Firm, I’m sure you’ve at least watched the same titled movie with Tom Cruise.
Until 1996 the author got the serious writing fever and wrote a novel a year. In 1996 he took a small break from writing to go back to being a lawyer with a case that he won.
However, his main career nowadays is still writing books (“thank God for that” say all his loyal followers).
John Grisham’s latest book is The Rooster Bar, is the second in a new legal thriller series. In terms of reading the books in chronological order, The Rooster Bar takes Place before The Whistler.
Here are all the John Grisham books in order. Most of his novels are standalone books, so they can be easily read in any order that you choose; however, if you are like me (and other ‘reading in order’ lovers), you will find this list quite useful.
I put it together a while ago and kept updating it in a Word document on my computer, as the author has written so many books, I really didn’t want to miss out on any of them.
New John Grisham Books
Theodore Boone Series
Theodore Boone is a young guy of age 13 who spends more time in courtrooms than anywhere else. While he is not a real lawyer, he loves giving advice to anyone who is asking.
- Theodore Boone: Kid Lawyer (Theodore Boone #1), 2010
- Theodore Boone: The Abduction (Theodore Boone #2), 2011
- Theodore Boone: The Accused (Theodore Boone #3), 2012
- Theodore Boone: The Activist (Theodore Boone #4), 2013
- Theodore Boone: The Fugitive (Theodore Boone #5), 2015
The Whistler Series
- Witness to a Trial (The Whistler #0.5), 2016 (prequel to The Whistler)
- The Whistler (The Whistler #1), 2016
- The Rooster Bar (The Whistler #2 – (prequel to the first book), 2017
Standalone Novels By John Grisham
- A Time To Kill, 1989 – adapted into a movie in 1996
- The Firm, 1991, adapted into a movie in 1993, and a TV series running between 2011-2012
- The Pelican Brief, 1992, adapted into a movie in 1993
- The Client, 1993, adapted into a movie in 1994, and a TV series running between 1995-1996
- The Chamber, 1994, adapted into a movie in 1996
- The Rainmaker, 1995, adapted into a movie in 1997
- The Runaway Jury, 1996, adapted into a movie in 2003
- The Partner, 1997
- The Street Lawyer, 1998
- The Testament, 1999, movie to be produced (TBA)
- The Brethren, 2000
- A Painted House, 2001, adapted into a TV film in 2003
- Skipping Christmas, 2002, adapted into a movie called Christmas With The Kranks in 2004
- The Summons, 2002
- The King Of Torts, 2003
- Bleachers, 2003
- The Last, 2004
- The Broker, 2005
- The Innocent Man, 2006 – non-fiction book about a wrongly convicted baseball player
- Playing for Pizza, 2007
- The Appeal, 2008
- The Associate, 2009, movie to be produced (TBA)
- Ford County, 2009 (collection of short stories)
- The Confession, 2010
- The Litigators, 2011
- Calico Joe, 2012, movie to be produced (TBA)
- The Racketeer, 2012
- Sycamore Row, 2013
- Gray Mountain, 2014
- Rogue Lawyer, 2015
- Camino Island, 2017
- The Reckoning, 2018