Karin Slaughter (website) is the author of two popular mystery series, Will Trent and (my favorite) Grant County series. While the two mystery series are distinct from each other, in 2009 the author linked them through the book Undone (Genesis in the UK), so right now we have 2 main series and a third one unofficially called the Genesis series.
I’ve read her books in order right from the start. I’ve been introduced to Karin Slaughter through Blindsighted in 2001, her very first novel. It is also the first in the Grant County series, a forensic mystery series set in Georgia focusing on three main characters: Sara Linton who is the local pediatrician and also part time coroner, her ex and current husband Jeffrey Tolliver and another strange character named Lena Adams, who is working for Tolliver. The series has 6 books with the last one written in 2007.
The second series, Will Trent, takes place in Atlanta alternating with Georgia (some books in the series are also called the Georgia series) and has as main characters the FBI agent Will Trent, Faith Mitchell who is his partner, and Angie Polaski.
Later on through the connecting novels, Sara Linton the main protagonist of the Grant County series also joins forces with them in a few following books including Undone, Broken, Fallen, Snatched and Criminal.
Her latest novel published in 2016 is called The Kept Woman and it is the 8th in the Will Trent series (well technically it’s the 10th one as there are two short novellas part of the series before this), published in 2016.
In addition Karin Slaughter has written several novels and short stories, all as standalone books. Her latest short story is Cold, Cold Heart, also published in 2016.
Grant County Series In Order
1. Blindsighted (Grant County series #1), published 2001
2. Kisscut (Grant County series #2), published 2002
3. A Faint Cold Fear (Grant County series #3), published 2003
4. Indelible (Grant County series #4), published 2004
5. Faithless (Grant County series #5), published 2005
6. Beyond Reach (also called Skin Privilege) (Grant County series #6), published 2007
Will Trend Series In Order
1. Triptych (Will rent series #1), published 2006
2. Fractured (Will rent series #2), published 2008
3. Undone (also called Genesis) (Will rent series #3), published 2009 – also part of the Georgia series
4. Broken (Will rent series #4), published 2010 – also part of the Georgia series
5. Fallen (Will rent series #5), published 2011 – also part of the Georgia series
6. Snatched (Will Trent series #5.5), published 2012
7. Criminal (Will Trent series #6), published 2012 – also part of the Georgia series
8. Busted (Will Trent series #5), published 2013
9. Unseen (Will Trent series #7), published 2013 – also part of the Georgia series
10. The Kept Woman (Will Trent series #8), published 2016
Other Books By Karin Slaughter
Like A Charm, 2004
Martin Misunderstood, 2008
The Unremarkable Heart, 2011 (short story)
The Unremarkable Heart, 2012 (short story)
Cop Town, 2014
Blonde Hair, Blue Eyes, 2015 (short novella, prelude to Pretty Girls)
Pretty Girls, 2015
Three Twisted Stories, 2015 (collection of 3 short stories)
Cold, Cold Heart, 2016 (short story)
About The Author
Karin Slaughter was born in 1971 in Covington and currently lives in Atlanta, Georgia.
As a child she was always interested in dark things. In one interview she once mentioned that she got kicked out from a Christian school because she tore the bible apart.
She was usually a loner, spending lots of her times reading and one of her dreams was to write books from a very young age.
After graduating from Morrow High School, she attended Georgia State University. Following her graduation, Karin worked several jobs, including being a designer and sales rep for a sign company. After leaving that company, she started her own sign business.
Before writing her first successful novel, she wrote several manuscripts which didn’t sell. Her debut novel, Blindsighted, was nominated for the Dagger Award, Barry Award and the Macavity Award.
Her books have so far sold over 35 million copies all over the world and have been published in over 35 languages.
Her stories are all gruesome and the crimes are not simply glossed over. Her thriller genre is one that cuts to the chase and shows every horrible detail in all its glory.