Deborah Crombie is the author of the popular Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James mystery series which currently includes 16 books, with the latest, Garden of Lamentations published in 2017.
I love the Ducan Kinkaid/Gemma James series and I’m really looking forward to the latest one, which hopefully is published next year. The setting and story lines remind me somewhat of the writings of Agatha Christie, P.D. James and Elizabeth George.
The two main characters are Duncan Kincaid and Gemma Jame. One is a Scotland Yard superintendent and the second a sergeant, both located in London. They are both not only well fleshed out, but very interesting to read about and follow their character progression and relationship development (ending in marriage).
If you start the series now, I suggest reading the Deborah Crombie books in order beginning with the first book, A Share In Death and working your way through the rest. Only then you can fully experience everything the author has to offer and really connect with the two main charatercs and the many others associated with them.
Here is the Deborah Crombie book list for the Duncan Kincaid series in reading order with the dates of publication listed next to each book. A well worth series worth starting, if you love British crime mystery / thriller genres.
Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James Series In Order
1. A Share in Death (Duncan Kincaid #1), 1993
2. All Shall Be Well (Duncan Kincaid #2), 1994
3. Leave the Grave Green (Duncan Kincaid #3), 1996
4. Mourn Not Your Dead (Duncan Kincaid #4), 1997
5. Dreaming of the Bones (Duncan Kincaid #5), 1997
6. Kissed a Sad Goodbye (Duncan Kincaid #6), 1999
7. A Finer End (Duncan Kincaid #7), 2001
8. And Justice There is None (Duncan Kincaid #8), 2002
9. Now May You Weep (Duncan Kincaid #9), 2004
10. In a Dark House (Duncan Kincaid #10), 2005
11. Water Like a Stone (Duncan Kincaid #11), 2007
12. Where Memories Lie (Duncan Kincaid #12), 2008
13. Necessary as Blood (Duncan Kincaid #13), 2009
14. Nocturne (Duncan Kinkaid #13.5), 2012 (short ebook)
15. No Mark upon Her (Duncan Kincaid #14), 2011
16. The Sound of Broken Glass (Duncan Kincaid #15), 2013
17. To Dwell in Darkness (Duncan Kincaid #16), 2014
18. Garden of Lamentations (Duncan Kincaid #17), 2017
About The Author
Deborah Crombie (website) was born in Dallas. She has at some point moved to the UK with her first husband, and then back to the US / Texas.
After a trip to the UK, she got the idea and spark for creating her series featuring the two British main characters.
The author lives in McKinney, Texas with her husband, two dogs (German Shepherd), and two cats. She often travels to Britain to research her books.
Deborah Crombie is now working on her 18th novel.