At a Glance
Last Updated -
Last Updated -Mary Higgins Clark is a world-known crime, mystery and thriller author. With over 50 suspense novel written to date, many readers and critics consider her the ‘queen of suspense’.
Here are the Mary Higgins Clark books in order for her two series and non-series novels to date.
New Mary Higgins Clark Books
Alvirah & Willy Series
- Weep No More, My Lady (Alvirah & Willy #1), 1987
- The Lottery Winner (Alvirah & Willy #2), 1994
- All Through the Night (Alvirah & Willy #3), 1998
- Deck the Halls (Alvirah & Willy #4), 2001
- The Christmas Thief (Alvirah & Willy #5), 2005
- Santa Cruise: A Holiday Mystery at Sea (Alvirah & Willy #6), 2006
- Dashing Through the Snow (Alvirah & Willy #7), 2008
- I’ll Walk Alone (Alvirah & Willy #8), 2011
- The Lost Years (Alvirah & Willy #9), 2012
- As Time Goes By (Alvirah & Willy #10), 2016
- All By Myself, Alone (Alvirah & Willy #11), 2017
Under Suspicion Series
- I’ve Got You Under My Skin (Under Suspicion #1), 2014
- The Cinderella Murder (Under Suspicion #2), 2014
- All Dressed in White (Under Suspicion #3), 2015
- The Sleeping Beauty Killer (Under Suspicion #4), 2016
- Every Breath You Take (Under Suspicion #5), 2017
- You Don’t Own Me (Under Suspicion #6), 2018
Standalone Suspense Novels by Mary Higgins Clark
- Where Are The Children?, 1975
- A Stranger is Watching, 1977
- The Cradle Will Fall, 1980
- A Cry in the Night, 1982
- Stillwatch, 1984
- Caribbean Blues, 1988
- While My Pretty One Sleeps, 1989
- The Anastasia Syndrome, 1989
- All Around the Town, 1992
- I’ll Be Seeing You, 1993
- Remember Me, 1994
- Let Me Call You Sweetheart, 1995
- Silent Night, 1995
- Moonlight Becomes You, 1996
- My Gal Sunday, 196
- Pretend You Don’t See Her, 1997
- You Belong to Me, 1998
- We’ll Meet Again, 1999
- Before I Say Good-Bye, 2000
- On The Street Where You Live, 2001
- He Sees You When You’re Sleeping, 2001
- Daddy’s Little Girl, 2002
- The Second Time Around, 2003
- Nighttime Is My Time, 2004
- No Place Like Home, 2005
- Two Little Girls in Blue, 2006
- I Heard That Song Before, 2007
- Where Are You Now?, 2008
- Just Take My Heart, 2009
- The Shadow of Your Smile, 2010
- Daddy’s Gone A Hunting, 2013
- The Melody Lingers On, 2015
- Death Wears a Beauty Mask, 2016
- I’ve Got My Eyes on You, 2018
- Kiss the Girls and Make Them Cry, 2019
About Mary Higgins Clark
Mary Higgins Clark was born under the name Mary Theresa Eleanor Higgins in 1927 in The Bronx, New York and on Christmas Eve 2017 is celebrating her 90th birthday!
After graduating from Saint Francis Xavier Grammar School, Mary received a scholarship for the Villa_Maria_Academy so she can continue her studies.
She grew up in the times of the Great Depression and while initially her family was not affected, eventually poverty hit them as well when customers of their Irish pub could no longer pay their tabs.
After her father died, her mother could not find employment, so they had to rent out Mary’s room to renting boarders, forcing Mary to move out of the home so the family could survive.
While attending the Villa_Maria_Academy, Mary’s teachers encouraged her to start writing because they saw talent in her.
At the age of 16, she sent her first stories to a magazine, but they were rejected. She had bills to pay, so she got a job as a switchboard operator at the Shelton Hotel.
Around the time her brother died in the army after contracting spinal meningitis, Mary graduated from high-school and enrolled on a partial scholarship to Wood Secretarial School. After a year she took a job as a secretary at Remington-Rand, while studying advertising and promotion in evening classes.
In 1949 she switched careers and became a flight attendant (stewardess), and worked for Pan Am for one year traveling to numerous countries around the globe.
At the end of 1949, she married Warren Clark and resigned from her job. Now that she had time on her hands, she enrolled in several writing courses at NYU.
When her husband became sick and died of a heart attack in 1959, Mary had to go back to work. She initially worked as a radio scriptwriter, while writing her first book, Aspire to the Heavens.
In 1971 she enrolled at the Fordham University at Lincoln Center, from where she graduated summa cum laude in 1979, with a BA in philosophy.
During those years the author fell on hard times, however, she never stopped writing. She finished her first book Where are the Children? in 1974 and Simon & Schuster agreed to publish it.
After publication the book became a bestseller, cementing Mary’s resolve to become a published well-known author.
Mary Higgins Clark received several awards for her suspense novels, which have been translated into many languages selling millions of copies all around the world.
Reading her books in order means catching up to her two popular series, Alvirah & Willy and Under Suspicion, the first which includes 11 books and the second five books.
However, that is not all. The author has more standalone suspense novels written than books as part of series. I think I have read so far everything she has written until now and the author is truly one of a kind with her writing and tales.