At a Glance
- New In Death J.D. Robb Books
- J.D. Robb Books In Order of Publication For The In Death Series / Eve Dallas Series
- J.D. Robb Books in Publication Order of the Short Stories, Novellas
- J.D. Robb Standalone Novels
- In Death Collections and Omnibus Editions in Publication Order
- J.D. Robb Biography and Bibliography – About the Author
When it comes to romantic suspense transcending time, J.D. Robb is the name of the New York Times bestselling author everyone should be familiar with. Her Eve Dallas futuristic romantic suspense series has captured the hearts of millions of readers all around the world since 1995. Currently, the series is still going strong with almost 60 books published to date (and many more if we consider the novellas and short stories as well).
Here are all the J.D. Robb books in her In Death series in order (I don’t know why I prefer the name ‘Eve Dallas series’) for the currently published almost 60 full-length novels and several novellas, starting with Naked In Death, to Payback in Death – her latest book in the series published in 2023.
New In Death J.D. Robb Books
J.D. Robb Books In Order of Publication For The In Death Series / Eve Dallas Series
- Naked In Death (#1), 1995
- Glory In Death (#2), 1995
- Immortal In Death (#3), 1996
- Rapture In Death (#4), 1996
- Ceremony In Death (#5), 1997
- Vengeance in Death (#6), 1997
- Holiday In Death (#7), 1998
- Midnight In Death (#7.5), 1998 (novella) (also included in the Silent Night collection of stories)
- Conspiracy In Death (#8), 1999
- Loyalty In Death (#9), 1999
- Witness In Death (#10), 2000
- Judgement In Death (#11), 2000
- Betrayal In Death (#12), 2001
- Interlude In Death (#12.5), 2001
- Seduction In Death (#13), 2001
- Reunion In Death (#14), 2002
- Purity In Death (#15), 2002
- Portrait In Death (#16), 2003
- Imitation In Death (#17), 2003
- Remember When #17.5), 2003
- Divided In Death (#18), 2004
- Visions In Death (#19), 2004
- Survivor In Death (#20), 2005
- Origin In Death (#21), 2005
- Memory In Death (#22), 2006
- Haunted In Death ( #22.5), 2006 (also included in the Bump In The Night collection of stories)
- Born In Death (#23), 2006
- Innocent In Death (#24), 2007
- Eternity In Death (#24.5), 2007 (also included in the Dead Of Night collection of stories and in Time Of Death)
- Creation In Death (#25), 2007
- Strangers In Death (#26), 2008
- Salvation In Death (#27), 2008
- Ritual In Death (#27.5), 2008 (also included in Time Of Death and in Suite 666)
- Promises In Death (#28), 2009
- Kindred In Death (#29), 2009
- Missing In Death (#29.5), 2009 (also included in The Lost collection of stories)
- Fantasy In Death (#30), 2010
- Indulgence In Death (#31), 2010
- Possession In Death (#31.5), 2010 (also included in The Other Side collection of stories)
- Treachery In Death (#32), 2011
- New York To Dallas (#33), 2011 (yep, it’s the first In Death book which doesn’t have the words in the title)
- Chaos In Death (#33.5), 2011 (also included in The Unquiet collection of stories)
- Celebrity In Death (#34), 2012
- Delusion In Death (#35), 2012
- Calculated In Death (#36), 2013
- Thankless In Death (#37), 2013
- Taken In Death (#37.5), 2013 (also included in Mirror, Mirror collection of stories)
- Concealed In Death ( #38), 2014
- Festive In Death ( #39), 2014
- Obsession In Death ( #40), 2015
- Devoted In Death ( #41), 2015
- Wonderment In Death (#41.5), 2015
- Brotherhood In Death (#42), 2016
- Apprentice In Death (#43), 2016
- Echoes In Death (#44), 2017
- Secrets In Death (#45), 2017
- Dark In Death (#46), 2018
- Leverage in Death ( #47), 2018
- Connections in Death (#48), 2019
- Vendetta in Death ( #49), 2019
- Golden in Death (#50), 2020
- Shadows in Death (#51), 2020
- Faithless in Death ( #52), 2021
- Forgotten in Death ( #53), 2021
- Abandoned in Death (#54), 2022
- Desperation in Death (#55), 2022
- Encore in Death (#56), 2023
- Payback in Death (#57), 2023
(note: there are two novellas published: Remember When (#17.5) and Big Jack. Big Jack is part #2 of Remember When. The first part is a sequel to the book called Hot Rocks written under Nora Roberts). So if you only want to read the J.D. Robb story, read only the second part.)
J.D. Robb Books in Publication Order of the Short Stories, Novellas
- Midnight in Death, 1998
- Interlude in Death, 2001
- Remember When…, 2003
- Haunted in Death, 2006
- Eternity in Death, 2007
- Ritual In Death, 2008
- Missing in Death, 2009
- Big Jack, 2010
- Possession in Death, 2010
- Chaos in Death, 2011
- Taken in Death, 2013
- Wonderment in Death, 2015
J.D. Robb Standalone Novels
- Naked Came the Phoenix, 2001 (with Nevada Barr, Mary Jane Clark, Diana Gabaldon, J A Jance, Faye Kellerman, Laurie R King, Val McDermid, Pam and Mary O’Shaughnessy, Anne Perry, Nancy Pickard, Lisa Scottoline, and Marcia Talley)
In Death Collections and Omnibus Editions in Publication Order
- Silent Night, 1998 (with Claire Cross, Dee Holmes, and Susan Plunkett)
- Out of this World, 2001 (with Laurell K Hamilton, Susan Krinard, and Maggie Shayne)
- Bump in the Night, 2006 (with Mary Blayney, Ruth Langan, and Mary Kay McComas)
- Dead of Night, 2007 (with Mary Blayney, Ruth Langan, and Mary Kay McComas)
- Three In Death, 2007
- Suite 606, 2008 (with Mary Blayney, Ruth Langan, and Mary Kay McComas)
- The Lost, 2009 (with Mary Blayney, Patricia Gaffney and Ruth Langan)
- The Other Side, 2010 (with Mary Blayney, Patricia Gaffney, Ruth Ryan Langan, and Mary Kay McComas)
- The Unquiet, 2011 (with Mary Blayney, Patricia Gaffney, Ruth Ryan Langan, and Mary Kay McComas)
- Mirror, Mirror, 2013 (with Mary Blayney, Elaine Fox, Mary Kay McComas, and R C Ryan)
- Down the Rabbit Hole, 2015 (with Mary Blayney, Elaine Fox, Mary Kay McComas, and R C Ryan)
J.D. Robb Biography and Bibliography – About the Author
J.D. Robb is the pen name of the New York Times bestselling author Nora Roberts. The JD Robb books in order focus on New York City Police and Security Department Police Lieutenant Eve Dallas and her sexy hubby Roarke, who solve crimes in New York in the mid-21st century.
While the series is set in the future and there are some gadgets, tools, cars (ok flying cars and spaceships), the books are really contemporary in nature. They are not sci-fi thrillers, but tried and tested futuristic romance, aka romantic suspense novel series adored by readers worldwide.
An already established author, J.D. Robb decided (at the nudging of her agent) to start writing under a new alias to capture a different kind of audience for a new series she wanted to start – a new futuristic crime mystery series, feeling that this series will be less in line with what she’s been writing so far.
And the J.D. Robb In Death Series was born. Sometimes I believe Nora Roberts is better known under this new alias than under her real name because the series is that popular.
When I first came a cross one of the In Death novels, I’d never heard of the author before, and I’m sure I’m not the only one. Of course, by now I have read almost all her books as well, but the J.D. Robb books series is still much better in my opinion. So a new star was born, on that hope will keep the light shining above her loyal readers for many more years to come.
Reading the JD Robb series in order only means reading her novels. This alias has only one series of books, which are still going strong even after close to 50 books in the series (with the latest one, Payback in Death, published in 2023).
I have to admit, I love the series. Very much so. Her books around police detective lieutenant Eve Dallas and her hubby Roarke, make my heart beat fast even now, after years of reading the first installment, Naked In Death.
The series is set some years in the future (when intergalactic travel is a very normal thing to do if you have the money for it), although to be honest, the only futuristic aspect is this travel between planets, stars, and moons.
Everything else is a typical (and very good) romantic suspense series with some very hot, clever and lovely people (especially Eve’s billionaire husband named Roarke, the cutie Delia Peabody, and many other characters that have their own charms).
Nora Roberts, aka J.D. Robb, so far sold over 400 million of her books in print (this includes both books by her real name and her alias). She is, in fact, only one of the two most influential authors out of 100 that the Times magazine wrote about in 2007. With her J.D. Robb alias alone, she sold more than one million books on Kindle. And that was only in the early year, 2011.
While the J.D. Robb series does tend to be a bit repetitive and formulaic if you read the series in order without pause, they are still some of the best romantic suspense novels of all times and people buy them as soon as the latest J.D. Robb books are out.
Even the shorter novellas like Midnight in Death are actually fully fleshed-out books with a whole complex storyline. The only difference is that they have fewer pages.
We first meet lieutenant Eve Dallas in Naked In Death as a rookie NYPD detective who meets her husband Roarke, the attractive Irish Billionaire. Their attraction to each other started from the first moment they saw each other.
Here is one of my favorite quotes from the first book, which was published years ago, one that is still relevant in the very latest J.D. Robb book as well, after well over 40 books and adventures together.
… he turned his head, looked five pews back across the aisle and directly into Eve’s eyes. It was surprise that had her fighting not to jolt at that sudden and unexpected punch of power. It was will that kept her from blinking or shifting her gaze. For one humming minute they stared at each other…
Some of the books in the J.D. Robb In Death series have violence (when the murder scenes are described) and there is sex involved (between Eve and Roarke, of course). Hot, steamy sex. So beware, if you want your books squeaky clean, the J.D. Robb In Death series might not be for you. But who am I kidding, I haven’t personally (or online) met so far anyone who said No to this awesome romantic suspense futuristic cop series, the perfect beach read.
So should we read the J D Robb novels in chronological order for her lieutenant Eve Dallas series? While each story is different in terms of solving a particular case, I strongly suggest you read them in the right chronological order. The main and secondary characters are all the same, and you will get to learn not only their interaction with each other but also their development and evolution within the settings of the books.
Just getting to know Eve and her husband Roarke and following their ongoing romance (even as a married couple) is something well worth sticking with. If only real life were the same… The In Death series is set in mid-21st century New York City and, occasionally, off-Earth, which, along with the high-tech equipment used, it gives it a nice futuristic setting.
One of the books I have reviewed in the In Death series, Festive In Death, was published in 2014 and it was the 39th book in the J.D. Robb series. Only three short years, and now we are at #20 with Golden in Death, to be published early 2020.
So far, J.D. Robb was the Rita Awards Best Novel winner in 2010 with Survivor in Death.
Who is Eve Dallas?
In the Death books by JD Robb, Police Lieutenant Eve Dallas was born in 2028. She entered the NYPSD Police Academy (New York City Police and Security Department) in 2046.
She spent her childhood being abused by her father until one fateful night, at a hotel in Dallas, TX, she killed him, after which she ran away, wandering the streets until a police officer found her passed out and took her to a hospital. As she had no papers with her, she went to foster care, where she got the name Eve Dallas.
Then she spent the next ten years in the system until, as an adult, she went to New York to become a police officer.
After graduating from the NYPSD academy of police, she became a patrol officer, following which she transferred to the Homicide Division. They worked and closed cases together before Feeney was promoted to Captain and transferred to the Electronic Detectives Division (EDD). Eve was also promoted to Detective and ultimately to Lieutenant, in charge of a Homicide squad at NYPSD’s Cop Central, where she worked when she met the love of her life, Rourke.
Eve is highly skilled in defensive as well as combat skills, and has no qualms in taking down the perpetrators all by herself.
Some of the other regularly appearing supporting characters are Captain Ryan Feeney, Dr Charlotte Mira, Detective Delia Peabody and Detective Ian McNab.
What Is The Latest Book in the JD Robb In Death Series?
Based on the publication order, the latest novel in the In Death series is book 57, Payback in Death, released in September 2023.
What is the Total Number of JD Robb Novels For the In Death Series?
Currently, there are 57 In Death / Eve Dallas books published, with two more on the way. There are also 12 In death short stories, and several anthologies and collections.