At a Glance
Reading the Eric Van Lustbader books in order takes us on a journey through the American author’s Nicholas Linnear thriller series. While he has written several other books, including many standalone novels as well, this series is probably one of the best known among lovers of the Japan-inspired thriller genre.
However, some readers might actually know the author for being one of the writers who continued the Jason Bourne series with titles such as The Bourne Legacy, The Bourne Retribution, and The Bourne Enigma.
Born in 1946 in Greenwich Village, Eric Van Lustbader (website) grew up with the Carradine (David and Keith) brothers and lived across the famous Lauren Bacall.
He graduated from the Columbia College with a degree in sociology and he also got licenses in elementary and early childhood education. Before becoming a full-time writer, he had several jobs, some evolving around education in New York City public schools, as well as the music industry, where he worked for Elektra Records and CBS Records.
In addition, he was also a journalist for Cash Box magazine, a music biz weekly, where he started writing concert reviews for them for free before being hired full time.
He was in the music business for 13 years, when upon meeting an old friend of his who was writing books, Eric Van Lustbader decided that he could do that as well. He was already tired of every creative decision being done by people who didn’t know much about creativity in the first place.
His first novel was published in 1975 with the title The Sunset Warrior, which was followed by several novels in the same series, which is one of the two fantasy series (along with The Pearl) that he has written apart from his thriller novels.
When not writing books, Eric Van Lustbader is listening to the music while constantly searching for new musical talents (he is the first one to have written about Elton John’s rise to fame in the US). I was excited to hear that he is a level II Reiki master, as I am a level II Reiki practitioner (not yet master level though).
The Ninja Cycle introduces us to Nicholas Linnear, a half-Asian, half-English crime fighter, who features in 8 books so far (the last one published in 2016).
In addi, ion he also continued the well-known Jason Bourne series (after the passing of Robert Ludlum) and kept the legacy of the beloved spy hero alive, not the least due to the popularity of the TV series featuring Matt Damon, who portrays Bourne so well.
The author has written so far over 30 crime mystery and thriller novels, not counting his two fantasy series and short stories.
Here are the Eric Van Lustbader books in order for his crime, mystery and thriller books.
Nicholas Linnear Series In Order
1. The Ninja (Nicholas Linnear #1), 1980
2. The Miko (Nicholas Linnear #2), 1984
3. White Ninja (Nicholas Linnear #3), 1990
4. The Kaisho (Nicholas Linnear #4), 1993
5. Floating City (Nicholas Linnear #5), 1994
6. Second Skin (Nicholas Linnear #6), 1995
7. The Death and Life of Nicholas Linnear (Nicholas Linnear #6.5), 2014
8. The Oligarch′s Daughter (Nicholas Linnear #7), 2016
China Maroc Series In Order
1. Jian (China Maroc #1), 1985
2. Shan (China Maroc #2), 1988
Jason Bourne Books In Order
(these are books only written by Eric Van Lustbader)
1.The Bourne Legacy (Jason Bourne #4), 2004
2. The Bourne Betrayal (Jason Bourne #5), 2007
3. The Bourne Sanction (Jason Bourne #6), 2008
4. The Bourne Deception (Jason Bourne #7), 2009
5. The Bourne Objective (Jason Bourne #8), 2010
10. The Bourne Dominion (Jason Bourne #9), 2011
11. The Bourne Imperative (Jason Bourne #10), 2012
12. The Bourne Retribution (Jason Bourne #11), 2013
13. The Bourne Ascendancy (Jason Bourne #12), 2014
14. The Bourne Enigma (Jason Bourne #13), 2016
Jack McClure Series
1. First Daughter (Jack McClure #1), 2008
2. Last Snow (Jack McClure #2), 2010
3. Blood Trust (Jack McClure #2), 2011
4. Father Night (Jack McClure #3), 2012
5. Beloved Enemy (Jack McClure #4), 2013
Bravo Shaw Series
1. The Testament (Bravo Shaw #1), 2006
2. The Fallen (Bravo Shaw #1), 2017
Other Novels By Eric Van Lustbader
Black Heart, 1983
French Kiss, 1989
Angel Eyes, 1991
Black Blade, 1993
Dark Homecoming, 1997
Pale Saint, 1999
Art Kills, 2002
Any Minute Now, 2016