Reading the C. J. Box books in order means catching up with 16 Joe Pickett novels, 2 Cody Hoyt series, 3 Cassie Dewell series, 2 standalone novels and 2 short stories as well. Quite a lot of books, but well worth the read!
C. J. Box (website), aka Charles James Box, is an American author best known for his Joe Pickett mystery series.
The author is a native of Wyoming. Born in 1958 in Casper, WY, where he also grew up, he graduated with a degree in Mass Communications from the University of Denver.
Over the years he held many jobs, including being a ranch hand, a fishing guide, surveyor, as well as a small town newspaper reporter and editor. At some point, he became the owner of an international tourism marketing firm together with his wife, Laurie.
He was and is involved in various aspects of tourism, earning the “BIG WYO” Award from the state tourism industry. He was on the Board of Directors of Cheyenne Frontier Days Rodeo and these days he serves on the Wyoming Office of Tourism Board.
For his books, C. J. Box received several awards, including the Anthony Award, Macavity Award, the Gumshoe Award and the Barry for Open Season. His first standalone novel, Blue Season, received the Edgar Award for Best Mystery Novel of 2008.
He is currently living outside of Cheyenne with his family.
His novels have been translated into over 20 languages (and in fact, my first Joe Pickett novel was several years back in Hungarian – my native language).
At some point, I owned all the Joe Pickett books, but I’ve in the meantime given many to the local charity bookshop for those who cannot afford to buy books. I still have one more, a trade paperback called Free Fire, bought several years ago.
Of course I continue to buy the latest Joe Pickett novels as soon as they come out, however, these days I rather buy them as Kindle downloads due to lack of space in my home.
Here are the C. J. Box books in order of publication and chronological order (which in his books is pretty much the same) for all his writing.
Joe Pickett Books In Order
The Joe Pickett series is about a game warden living in Wyoming, who is not very popular in the area since everyone around there hunts. Joe is as straight as it gets and finds his calling as he solves murder case after case.
1. Open Season (Joe Pickett #1), 2001
2. Savage Run (Joe Pickett #2), 2002
3. Winterkill (Joe Pickett #3), 2003
4. Trophy Hunt (Joe Pickett #4), 2004
5. Dull Knife (Joe Pickett #4.5), 2011
6. Out of Range (Joe Pickett #5), 2005
7. In Plain Sight (Joe Pickett #6), 2006
8. Free Fire (Joe Pickett #7), 2007
9. Blood Trail (Joe Pickett #8), 2008
10. Below Zero (Joe Pickett #9), 2009
11. Nowhere to Run (Joe Pickett #10), 2010
12. Cold Wind (Joe Pickett #11), 2011
13. The Master Falconer (Joe Pickett #11.5), 2011
14. Force of Nature (Joe Pickett #12), 2012
15. Breaking Point (Joe Pickett #13), 2013
16. Stone Cold (Joe Pickett #14), 2014
17. Shots Fired: Stories from Joe Pickett Country (Joe Pickett #14.5), 2014
18. Endangered (Joe Pickett #15), 2015
19. Off the Grid (Joe Pickett #16), 2016
20. Vicious Circle (Joe Pickett #17), 2017
Should we read the Joe Pickett novels in order?
I’ve read most of the books in this series in order, and I think they can be read out of order easily. Each book stands on its own and if you read them out of order, you won’t miss much.
However, if you’re on this site, you know how much I love reading the books in order, so you definitely know my view on this question 🙂
Cody Hoyt Series In Order
The Cody Hoyt series has currently 2 books and has at center stage the alcoholic Cody Hoyt, who is a cop on the way to destruction. He was a great cop and had everything going for him until the alcohol got the better of him.
1. Back of Beyond (Cody Hoyt #1), 2011
2. The Highway (Cody Hoyt #2, Cassie Dewell #1), 2013
Cassie Dewell Series In Order
1. The Highway (Cassie Dewell #1, Cody Hoyt #2), 2013
2. Badlands (Cassie Dewell #2), 2015
3. Paradise Valley (Cassie Dewell #3), 2017
Standalone Novels and Short Stories by C. J. Box
Over the years the author has written two standalone novels as well. They are listed below in the order of publication.
le Sauvage Noble, 2007 (short story – and long price! sadly it’s only available as used book)
Blue Heaven, 2008
Three Weeks to Say Goodbye, 2009