Last Updated -
If you’re looking for something new to read, how about these 10 new hot and chilling mysteries to start this September?
I can’t believe summer is over, it’s gone way too soon if you ask me. I loved reading tons of new books throughout the summer, which I’m busy reviewing them on the site, and it’s already September!
A friend told me that she spends every summer reading but she just doesn’t see autumn as a reading season.
Why not, I asked her? Because she never finds anything good to read this time, as most authors are busy bringing their new titles out for the beach reads in July and August, she says.
So here I am trying to prove her wrong. There are tons of great new books coming out this autumn and for the fans of mystery series there are many hot and explosive ones to sink your teeth into as well.
Some are new starting mystery series, while others are new books published in series that we all know and love (e.g. the Jack Reacher series), and what they have in common (except for the fact that they’re all awesome) is that they are all available to read in September 2013 – which is this very month!
So let’s see what new mystery and thrillers has September to offer us.
1. Never Go Back by Lee Child (published September 3rd 2013) – the latest Jack Reacher novel (#18) – The latest in the Jack Reacher books in order to read. Can’t wait to get started with this one!
2. W is for Wasted by Sue Grafton (published September 4th 2013) – now that she’s just published her last letter of the alphabet, I wonder what she’ll write about next?
3. The Mayan Secrets by Clive Cussler (published September 3rd 2013) – the fifth in the Fargo Adventure series. I love Clive Cussler and I hope the new book is just as thick with pages as the previous one (I love to read heavy doorstopper books).
4. Thankless in Death by J.D. Robb (published September 17th 2013) – one of my most favorite series, I never fail to read about Eve Dallas and Roarke the hunk (sorry, that’s just my name for the god called Roarke!)
5. Damned If You Do by Robert B. Parker (published September 10th 2013) – I’m a major fan of the Jesse Stone novels (and the movie series featuring my hidden hero Tom Selleck), so I’m eagerly awaiting the 12th book in the Jesse Stone series
6. Bones of the Lost by Kathy Reichs (published August 27th 2013) – I”m sneaking this book in even though it was published in August, not September, as the publication date is really just 3-4 days prior to the start of the month. And it’s one of my favorite mystery series (btw, I love the Bones TV series as well – do you?), one that nobody should miss reading.
7. The Final Cut by Catherine Coulter (published September 17th 2013) – If you’re a fan of the Catherine Coulter’s books (an FBI Thriller series), you’ll have fun reading this first book in a new series that she collaborated on with J.T. Ellison, called A Brit in the FBI.
8. Crash and Burn by Allison Brennan and Laura Griffin (published September 2 2013) – Here is an exciting new mystery series called Moreno & Hart Mysteries series with the first book being released this very month! It is co-authored by two popular mystery writers, Allison Brennan (the author of the No Evil series, Lucy Kincaid series and the Prison Break trilogy) and Laura Griffin (the author of the Tracers, The Glass Sisters and The Borderline), so the result it’s gotta be good!
9. Second Watch by J.A. Jance (published September 10th 2013) – The 21st book in the J.P. Beaumont series series brings us another adventure with the popular Seattle investigator J. P. Beaumont. Can’t wait to read!
10. Deceived by Randy Wayne White (published September 3d 2013) – Finally the second book in the Hanna Smith series is available and ready to read for the fans of the author who is also known for his Doc Ford mystery series.
And here are some more notable mystery series published in September 2013 or late August 2013 that didn’t make the top 10 cut:
- Doctor Sleep by Stephen King (not strictly part of a series, but we have already met the character of this book, Dan Torrance in Shining if you remember)
- Gone by James Patterson (Michael Bennet #6)
- How the Light Gets In by Louise Penny (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache #9)
- The Whole Enchilada by Diane Mott Davidson (A Goldy Bear Culinary Mystery #17)
- Deadly Heat by Richard Castle (Nicki Heat #5)
- The Sound and the Furry by Spencer Quinn (A Chet and Bernie Mystery #6)
- The Bones of Paris by Laurie King (Harris Stuyvesant #2)
- Lowcountry Bombshell by Susan M. Boyer (A Liz Talbot Mystery #1)
- Hollow Bones by C.J. Lyons (Caitlyn Tierney FBI Thrillers #3)
- Thirty and a Half Excuses by Denise Grover Swank (Rose Gardner Mystery #3)
- Whiskey For Breakfast by Liliana Hart (Addison Holmes Mysteries #3)
- Dead Tide by Leighann Dobbs (Blackmoore Sisters Romantic Mystery #1)
- Winter of the World by Ken Follett (Century Trilogy #2)
- Dying for Dinner Rolls by Lois Lavrisa (Chubby Chicks Club Cozy Mystery Series #1)
I hope to have wet your appetite for some new great mysteries that you can read this autumn in the park, on your balcony, in your garden or backyard, or simply in your most comfy couch to relax with a good book. If you like reading sequels of thrillers and mystery series, these will be right up your alley!